Thursday, March 6, 2014

Juggling it all

Sometimes it can get pretty overwhelming making sure you get everything done that needs to be done as a teacher. You need to write lesson plans, differentiate your lessons, grade papers, prepare for upcoming events, and sometimes work on your own personal class work for courses you are taking. However, it is all worth it in the end. Sometimes it can be stressful and you wonder if it will all get finished on time and well, but I feel it is important to stay calm through it all. Sometimes people say being a teacher would be the easiest job, but I don't always think they know the work that goes into teaching outside of the classroom. As a teacher we need to do our best to help each one of our students succeed to the best of their ability. This can sometimes be challenging, but we do it because we enjoy seeing the faces of our students when they understand something they have been working on for awhile, or because we see the excitements in their faces when they are enjoying a lesson, or when we hear them discussing our lessons at the lunch table. We know our students appreciate our hard work, even if they don't always show it. I think it is great to be a teacher, and even if it does get hectic at times, it is always worth the smile a student gives us when they have accomplished something important to them. As we prepare for conferences, I hope everyone takes some time to reflect on their journey as a teacher and how much they really have made a difference in their students' lives.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Krista - as challenging and hectic as the school year can be, it is great to have summers free to rejuvenate! But it truly is a rewarding and fulfilling career and I agree that most of us in this profession, wouldn't trade it anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, Krista! And I absolutely agree! I don't think people in other professions understand all of the time, work, and patience that go into teaching. (And it REALLY drives me crazy when people comment that we have summers off. Yeah, that is ONE perk of the job, but there are many other perks about jobs not in education too!) I think this is a great reminder though of why we're in teaching and what's really important each day: the students!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krista,

    I love the idea of reflecting on what we do and why we do it? I think some teachers today are in it for the wrong reasons or have been in it so long they do not remember why they are in it. I just had conferences with parents this past week and was so excited to update parents on student progress. I feel that we as educators have a duty to help young people succeed. If they do not do so, I also feel that we are not failures at what we do, some students just do not think school is important. I have a few of these and they just give up, no amount of coaxing seems to help. I can only do so much with the time and resources I have. I teach 11th and 12th grade special education and I used to get frustrated by the fact that my students were not succeeding. I do not take it as personal as I once did. I often quote myself in saying "I cannot care more than you" Thanks for sharing your thoughts

    ReplyDelete