Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Conferences

All of the prep work has been done and the parents have been met. There is something about conferences that make you feel excited, nervous, and anxious. I am always excited to be able to sit down with the parents and talk with them about all of the wonderful projects, ideas, and skills their students have been using and applying in the classroom. I am eager to hear what the parents have to say and hear their input and suggestions on how I can improve. I think conferences are a way that the students, parents, and teachers are able to communicate with each other and let each other know how the feel the semester has been going. I also feel that this is a time to learn how we can grown in our position in learning. As a teacher I always find out what my students are looking for from me and reflect about how I can improve. When I do my conferences I have the students write a letter to their parents and to myself explaining what they think their strengths are, what they need to work on, a goal they have, and how their parents can help, how I can help, and what they will do to work towards achieving that goal. I think this is a way to help everyone reflect and think about what they can do to help the student to succeed in the classroom and in their learning. Conferences can be a hectic time for everyone, but I do think they are important and well worth the work that is put into them.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy conferences too; although at the high school we are at we don't get a lot of parents. I think last quarter we had 6 parents for the special ed department... we have 38 kids... and 2 of those parents were here for IEP's as well!!
    I enjoy hearing the comments as a grandparent that my grandson's parents get... although I know that sometimes the comments are a little skewed because the teachers don't share EVERYTHING.
    Glad to hear you enjoy yourself on conference night!
    Great Blog!!

    ReplyDelete